Fibre Network Planner
POSITION: Full Time
LOCATION: Ottawa, ON
Hiboo Networks Inc., is a new telecommunications company in the Ottawa-Gatineau region that is wholly owned by Hydro Ottawa Holdings Inc.
Hiboo Networks Inc is passionate and excited to provide high-quality and high-speed fibre optic network solutions and internet services to the Ottawa-Gatineau region. Our fast, high-capacity and highly-secure connectivity solutions built on state of the art technology, will deliver the low latency and high reliability network services that the business community increasingly requires to support the region’s global leadership and international growth and success.
Imagine working for a new exciting company, where employees have a chance to make a difference, be innovative and contribute to the success of the organization.
Hiboo Networks Inc. is currently searching for a talented individual to join our team as the Fibre Network Specialist. This position will create efficient outside plant designs, coordinate and oversee numerous build projects (outside plant facilities, primary and secondary data centres), while creating best practices and repeatable standards along the way.
Here’s What You Will Do
- Use your skills and experience to propose optimal fibre optic designs for a robust and cost-effective network build.
- Leverage fibre modeling and planning tools for the for the design and capture of accurate records of all fibre network design elements.
- Leverage existing fibre network assets while introducing new technology and construction methods for optimal design and network growth.
- Evaluate fibre network design alternatives and make recommendations to optimize fibre usage and contain costs
- Interface with Outside Plant (OSP) vendors and contract design firms to estimate project costs and obtain quotes
- Liaise with the sales team to review and approve cost models for input on customer opportunities to ensure optimal return on investment and business growth
- Provide optimal technical fibre optic network design, topology layout, fiber splice plans, cable duct and routing to pre-sales and outside plant design teams
- Establish and maintain relationships with permit and right of way partners in the region
- Assist the Operations PM in the supervision of OSP vendor activity
- Document and maintain details in the GIS platform including circuit assignments, records, fibre availability, loopbacks, splicing, coupler locations, termination cabinets, panel locations, duct work and duct access locations.
- Provide engineering support for the operations and maintenance the fibre network
- Drafting work as it relates to Outside Plant design (single line diagrams, schematics, riser plans, etc) and the production of excerpts requested by coordinators, contractors, and clients.
- Establish an as designed vs as built processes between Fibre Network Planning and OSP Vendors
- Implement Hiboo Aerial/Buried fibre network planning & design guidelines while adhering to industry and third party standards where applicable
Here’s What you Need – Skills and Qualifications
- A Post-Secondary Diploma or Degree in Engineering, Computer Science or relevant discipline
- A minimum of three (3) years of experience as a Fibre Specialist or a Senior Fiber System Planner with network engineering and planning experience
- Experience in GIS database including mapping, planning, and establishing fibre network topologies and presenting in diagram / CAD format with Bill of Materials (BoM) and inventory updates
- Direct involvement in building fibre networks is required
- Experience with a major Telecom Service Provider or Cable Operator considered an asset
Here’s What’s Great to Have – Core Competencies
- Adaptable, adjusts and responds to change, can pivot and prioritize
- Commitment to quality and excellence
- Entrepreneurial spirit, is innovative, challenges the status quo and can take risks
- Motivated to “hit the ground running”, a self-starter who can take initiative
- Integrity, trustworthy, fulfills commitments and does what is right
- Collaboration skills, a team player who loves working with others and sharing ideas
- Provides “best in class” customer service
- Knowledge of advanced optical networking concepts like DWDM, FDH, OLT details (racks, floorplans, etc.), detailed splice packages, DDP, FDDP, and other detailed IPE packages
- Experience in a start-up organization and/or the telecommunications services industry is an asset
Here’s Why You Should Join the Hiboo team!
- Compensation and Incentive Program
- Benefits and RRSP Matching Program
- Generous Paid Leave
- Employee Referral Bonus
- Wellness Reimbursement Program
- Home Office Reimbursement Program
- Cell Phone Reimbursement Program
- Employee Assistance Program
- Professional Development
- Flexible Work Arrangements
As we build our team, the health, safety and well-being of our employees is our top priority.
Hiboo offers employees flexible work arrangements however, this position is located in Ottawa, and face-to-face meetings with the team will be required. We value the innovation and teamwork that happens when employees come together and are committed to establishing a dynamic workforce that reflects the community it serves. We are stronger together!
Hiboo Networks Inc. is committed to establishing a qualified workforce that reflects the diverse population it serves and we encourage applications from all qualified individuals. We are committed to preventing and removing barriers to employment for people with disabilities and invite you to contact us if you have questions regarding accessibility or accommodation.
If you are looking to join a new dynamic organization that values entrepreneurial thinking, excellence, innovation, integrity, teamwork and best in class service, we want to meet you!
We will enable our fellow citizens via our strengths in people and technology, with community purpose, for a better future.
- We make Citizens’ lives better, make the city better, now and in the future o We act in the customer’s best interest – always
- We are Fair, Honest and will earn your trust
- We try to keep things simple and clear